Sunday, January 15, 2017

Securing the propane tank

If you've been following along at home, you might have noticed a common theme with our camper build....Cheapness!  When it was time to secure our propane tanks, it was no different.

Originally, our tank was held in place with a wing nut and a prayer.
Many recommend j-hook style tank retainers, but they are pretty expensive online and not available nearby.  I also didn't think they would fit our weird tank mount well.

https://colemanpopupparts.com/products/lp-j-bolt-kit

Last weekend, while working on the screen door, adding a doggy door for our precocious pup when I realized the turnbuckle style door support might work.


So the girls and I went off to Ace and picked one up for $7.  You can save a few bucks on Amazon, but I wanted to try it out.

It took less than an hour to drill a couple holes and bend the rod by hand and we had something that looked halfway decent.  I put a little shrink tubing on the end and voila!


The first hook went on great with the wing nuts I also bought.  As I tried to get the nut on the second hook, I realized yet again that I am not a smart man.  For the turnbuckle to work, one side is reverse threaded...doh!  Luckily a lifetime of being a slightly dumb guy had made me resourceful, so I cut the turnbuckle in half, which actually works out well as you get a lot of thread engagement and it's easier to reach from underneath.


Yay...I made this!




No comments:

Post a Comment