Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Acquisition

When I was a kid, our family had an irreplaceable homestead cabin located deep in the Los Padres forest.  As boys, my brother and I had the most amazing childhood...fishing, hiking, eating and enjoying a childhood few understand.

Unfortunately, families don't always work the way they are supposed to and the family homestead was sold by my Uncle without any input from the rest of the family.  Once I had kids, I realized the importance of experiencing the outdoors, so we started on a hunt for something that didn't exist anymore.  In the end, we decided at least a piece of history that we could use to explore the West was about as good as we were going to get, so we started trolling Craigslist.

I had seen this trailer sitting in a field on my walk to work every day for about 5 years.


Finally, one Sunday night...long after we usually decide to leave the house, it appeared on Craigslist.  We hopped in the car and by the end of the night, totally out of character for us, it was ours.


Luckily, it was less than 2 miles from home, so towing it home that week, with non-working electrical, rotted tires and lots of hidden wood rot was not an issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment